Monday, June 23, 2008


Loss of blood is the cause of shock. One who has suffered injury and hemorrhages is at risk of shock. The loss of blood results in a weakened heartbeat and an inadequate supply of oxygen and other chemicals to all the tissues. It is the brain, heart, and lungs which particularly suffer. A person in shock is pale, cold, sweating, and has a fast, weak pulse. He or she also feels faint, is nauseated, and thirsty. To prevent shock lay the person on his or her side in the recovery position. Keep warm; do not provide anything to eat or drink. Alcohol can be dangerous as it can dilate the blood vessels and draw blood away from inside the body. Cigarettes are also harmful at this time as they reduce the oxygen capacity of the blood and reduce the blood supply to the heart. When the victim appears more stable, twig tea with one teaspoon of tamari soy sauce is helpful.


Post a Comment